Wednesday 27 March 2019

Buying Happiness.

Money can't buy you happiness ~ but it can buy chickens & that's almost the same thing.

Last August we bought chickens again.  We did it differently because last time we didn't have any money so turned an old trampoline into a pen & invested in rescue ISA Browns.  I'm not a mad fan of ISA Browns.  I like pretty things ~ & chickens are no exception.  ISA Browns are not, to my eyes, pretty.  

So I bought a prefab coop & 5 birds: 2 black Australorps & 3 Barred Rocks.  In the way of these things the coop is made for bantams, not the nice plump girls I have, though they have been happy enough with it because they have spent most of their time decimating my yard.  However the plan was always to have more birds so we have been building a new coop.


I chose my first girls for being calm, docile girls, friendly enough & good layers because what I always knew I wanted was much flightier ~ Campines, Araucanas, Frizzles, Wyandottes ~ & I didn't want them all over my yard & absconding to the neighbours.  I have my fingers crossed that my calm older girls will lead without bullying & my flock will remain as calm & peaceful as it has been to date. 

My youngest, Kate, adores chickens & one of the BAs is hers, though Kate no longer lives here & is in no position to keep chickens.  Just the same she tells everyone she has chickens.  So I asked if she'd like to navigate me over to Mt Samson again to pick up 8 new birds.  It is going to cost me a bird because Kate promptly asked if one of the new birds could be hers.  I don't mind.  It's only in name.  

We are due to go & pick them up in 10 days but we have still to finish the coop & now the rain is raining all around.  

I like chooks.  It takes very little to make them happy.  They chatter softly as they go about their business & are so happy to do what they were made to do: lay eggs.  If only people were so amenable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Little Renovation...

Living through a home renovation is like living in the wild... You do whatever it takes to survive. Anon. I have been quiet because for...