Saturday 20 July 2019

'Tis the season...

We don't make mistakes, we do variations.
Winter is the season I generally crochet.  It's too hot in summer, though it's been a while since I bothered.  It began with a baby blanket for a Canadian friend's grand~daughter & then my youngest began bleating that her Ma would not make her an afghan ~ so I did.  Rather an odd little afghan because the girl suffers all sorts of allergies so it was done with whatever baby wool I could find in single crochet  *squares*, a little uneven & wonky but she loves it & that's all that matters.


I packed it of to find she had generated *homemade envy* & all her housemates & friends were clamouring for a homemade blanket too because no~one in their families does them.  I do find that a little odd but whatever.

Her house mate is expecting so next it was a baby blanket.  Not my colours but house mate was thrilled with it so all good.


I am not very good @ following instructions  but finally figured out how to manage a waffle stitch for my soon to be brand new grand~daughter.


 I actually like this stitch so much I decided to try it in a chunky wool for a male friend of the girls. Nice big hook too ~ felt a little strange @ first as generally I work with a 4.5 & an 8 ply wool but nothing ventured, nothing gained & it turned out really well.

I was super happy with this one.  Loved the colour, texture & feel.


Then daughter un numero uno decided she was being left out ~ though she is in Chile & getting anything to her is problematic.  Weight is an issue so after some stuffing round I found a lightweight yarn, a big hook [#9] & single crochet gave me a really soft, pliable, lightweight afghan that shouldn't exceed her weight limit.

 I have begun a 2nd waffle stitch blanket for a different friend of YD's & though I was rather reluctant to work with her choice of colour it is turning out not too badly.  Just waiting on some more yarn to finish it off.

I love variegated yarns & ran this up over the weekend for my mother's birthday.  She can crochet herself but sticks to granny squares so hopefully she'll enjoy this one. 

 Since I was last crocheting  this much we have become computer savvy & so much has changed for me.  I am a very visual learner.  Until I can *see* how a pattern goes I struggle with the instructions no matter how clear they may be, but You Tube is a God Send in this regard. One can pause, repeat, pause as often as one needs to in order to master a technique.  I have tried stitches that I once considered waaay beyond me.  Indeed, I got super brave & purchased a Tunisian hook to have a go because Tunisian crochet gives a much tighter stitch.

Sooo different.  I wasn't sure @ first.  The long hook is difficult for me ~ too much like knitting.  I can't knit @ all. I nearly gave up but again ~ You Tube.  I found some basic tutorials & feel confident enough to tackle a project.  Will purchase some yarn next mainland trip & go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Little Renovation...

Living through a home renovation is like living in the wild... You do whatever it takes to survive. Anon. I have been quiet because for...